The Reason: Branding.
Authors need sites devoted to their job. This crucial building block of new creation is vital in the present world where should you need your job to discover an audience, then you need to roll your sleeves up and do the majority of the marketing yourself. This might look clear to self-published writers, but additionally, it is true even when your publication is printed by a big-five writer. You might believe that when a conventional publisher purchases the rights for your job, you are completely free, but this isn’t the situation. Publishers’ budgets no more stretch to lots of promotion or advertisements.
That can be true for authors of all kinds. Whether you write fiction, non-fiction, poetry, children’s books, or magazine articles. The world wide web is currently the primary place your viewers or potential publisher will turn if they would like to learn about you and your job.
You will wish a site even before you market your book. It is best to incorporate a URL to your site in your signature to get query letters to publishers and agents, for instance. You will have to make it look elegant as well for the visitors to experience. Luckily, you can get Elegant Themes for your website.
Here are the principles:
Buy your domain
A domain costs about $15/year, and you also ought to do this quickly, even when you’re still not prepared to utilize it. In case the title you want is inaccessible, produce a simple to remember variant. Should you wait to get this done, you might have difficulty securing your preferred name, and it might be rather pricey.
A .com remains the most popular, however, individuals frequently elect to buy the .net version too so there’ll not be any confusion or missing site traffic. It is simple to create both domains to resolve to the exact identical site.
Avoid using dashes or underscores in your domain. That gets really awkward once you’re providing it in radio or TV interviews.
A writer’s site should exhibit the following advice:
- Writer’s Bio–See Best Practices for Composing Author Bios. Be aware that for your site, you are able to record ALL the awards and books. Only keep a briefer version for books with articles and books.
- Clips–Should you look for, out freelance job, you will need clips. This expression”clips” derives from the custom of collecting magazine and newspaper clippings to show an author’s work. These clips could be watched copies of printed works, like copies of pages out of anthologies Your clips can also have hyperlinks to your posts that were published on the internet.
- Samples of the own writing –use that specific expression in case you don’t really possess any printed clips. You want to put your very best work on screen but you need to be conscious that first book rights have been gone when it looks on your site, or so the sample that you use might only be marketed as a reprint later.
- A Website –excerpt from: If You Blog? And If So, What Are Best Practices? From Jane Friedman about the Writers Digest site: For fiction authors and poets, a website ought to exercise your muscles and allow you to compose in an unpressured way. Occasionally it will be able to help you stumble on disagreements, in addition to friendships. But for an aspiring author, you need to be careful that it does not detract or substitute the”actual” job of composing the publication or even your manuscript. For nonfiction authors, blogs may be a crucial part of your advertising and marketing –the writer platform that assists you to get printed in the first location.
- Revenue Pages to your printed work. It’s not vital to have a whole internet shopping cart. Your writer or POD seller is going to have a webpage it is possible to relate to. You might even have the ability to make a few added pennies from every sale if you register for affiliate revenue programs. Amazon and B & N have affiliate programs, for instance.
- A calendar to demonstrate some forthcoming publication dates, book-signings or events you intend to attend.
Links into Social Media That is a significant subject all of its own–only know it must link to your site.
The cheapest way to Begin
I suggest writers with limited funds begin with enrolling in a free site like those in http://www.wordpress.com. You are going to get a domain such as http://yourname.wordpress.com. You do not even require a domain name but should you’ve got one, it is a very simple thing to “forward” your own yourname.com domain to the WordPress address. Your domain will have the ability to talk to you.